Well, hello, beautiful! We are so excited to share a new role on the growing Rainbow Plant Life team! This role is for someone who loves food and cooking and is local to San Diego, California.
The ideal candidate is someone who’s already familiar with RPL and a fan of the brand. Full deets are below. If you’re interested in this position, please select “Apply Now” at the bottom of this post.
Position title: Recipe Tester and Kitchen Assistant
Job overview: We are looking for an awesome individual who will make the process of recipe testing, cooking, and taking photos/videos easier and smoother for Rainbow Plant Life.
Hours: 20 to 30 hours per week, with the possibility of future full-time employment.
Schedule: There is flexibility as to the exact days/hours, though we’d like to eventually set a consistent schedule. All work will be done between Monday and Friday between 9 am and 6 pm.
Location: San Diego, CA (all work is done at the Rainbow Plant Life headquarters, aka my house! No stalkers apply, please).
Compensation: Dependent on applicant’s experience and qualifications.
Starting Date: April 2021
COVID-19 Safety: My partner and I (it’s just us two at home) have received our COVID-19 vaccines and we take health and safety very seriously. If you do not intend to get vaccinated, please do not apply.
- Recipe testing and cooking. Test and re-test Rainbow Plant Life recipes.
- Note-taking and feedback. Take detailed notes on recipes while testing (e.g., the onions started to brown after 7 minutes, not 9 minutes) and provide feedback/suggestions (the dressing was too sweet; omit the sugar).
- Assist with content creation. Help plate recipes and provide an extra set of hands while I photograph dishes and film recipes, along with capturing behind the scenes content. If you have artistic flair, I might ask you to help set up some shots. Or I might even use your hands in photos or videos!
- Grocery shopping. Shop for all groceries, primarily at grocery stores but occasionally at the farmers market as well.
- Cleaning. Wash dishes, put away dishes, clean surfaces, etc. It’s not glamorous but it’s important to have a tidy workspace!
- Confident and creative in the kitchen, and experienced in vegan cooking
- Capable of taking detailed notes while cooking
- Have no or limited food aversions, allergies, restrictions, and are able to taste test a variety of foods
- Easy to communicate with and respond well and quickly to feedback
- Able to work quickly and take initiative without direct supervision
- Fun to be around (cooking is fun! we’ll be working closely together and am looking for someone with whom I’ll get along)
- Equipped with a valid driver’s license (so you can pick up those groceries and drive to mi casa!)
- Food photography or food styling experience
- Restaurant cooking experience
- Experience testing cookbook recipes
- Social media management or strategy experience
- Application: Fill out the application linked below.
- First Round Interview: Remote interview over Zoom to discuss your interest and experience.
- Second Round: You’ll be tasked with testing a Rainbow Plant Life recipe at home, taking detailed notes and a few photos of the process and finished dish (basic snaps with your phone are fine), and providing any suggestions or feedback.
- You will be compensated for your time and the cost of ingredients.
- Third Round: We’ll cook a recipe together in-person at RPL HQ. This will be an opportunity for us to get to know one another better and for me to assess your comfort level in the kitchen.
How to apply
If this sounds interesting to you, I’d love to learn more about you. Please apply here:
- Your experience and qualifications
- Your availability (start date and available hours / week)
- Your compensation expectations
- Any other skills or experience relevant to the job
If selected for an interview, you will hear from us within seven days. I look forward to reading your application!