Double Chickpea Stuffed Sweet Potatoes
Baked sweet potatoes stuffed with spiced crispy chickpeas, kale, hummus, and tahini
- 4 baked sweet potatoes
- 1 15-ounce can (440g) chickpeas, drained and rinsed thoroughly*
- 2 teaspoons olive oil
- 1/2 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1/2 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/2 teaspoon paprika
- Kosher or sea salt to taste
- Juice of 1/2 lemon
- 1/2 cup (120g) hummus (store-bought or homemade) (can use as much as you want)
- 2-3 cups (130-195g) raw lacinato kale, finely shredded
- 4 tablespoons tahini**
Make the Crispy Chickpeas. Heat a large 12-inch skillet over medium-high heat with the 2 teaspoons olive oil, and ensure the entire pan is coated with the oil (I use a paper towel to evenly distribute the oil). Add the rinsed and dried chickpeas in small handfuls and spread them out in a single layer. Let the beans cook undisturbed for 3 minutes. Use a spatula to flip the chickpeas and cook for another 3-5 minutes, or until the beans are browned and blistered.
Add the oregano, thyme, garlic powder, paprika, a generous pinch of salt, and the lemon juice. Reduce the heat to medium-low and cook for 2-3 minutes to allow the flavors to blend.
Assemble the Sweet Potatoes: Stuff each baked sweet potato with the 2-3 tablespoons of hummus. Divide the shredded kale and Crispy Chickpeas between the potatoes. Drizzle each with a tablespoon of tahini.
** The tahini brands I regularly use are Soom Tahini, Seed + Mill, and the Whole Foods 365 brand. If you typically refrigerate your tahini, try to bring it to room temperature, as it’ll be easier to stir into the lentils.
- Be sure to thoroughly dry off your rinsed beans. I dab the chickpeas gently with paper towels to remove the moisture. Removing the moisture ensures they crisp up in the pan.