Creamy, Fruit-Sweetened Oatmeal
My two secret weapons for oatmeal that actually tastes good: (1) using creamy plant-based milk instead of water and (2) adding in bananas or dates along with oats to sweeten them up.
- 1/2 cup gluten-free rolled oats (45-50g)
- 1 cup plant-based milk (240 mL) (I like oat milk, cashew milk, or soy milk)
- A large pinch each of ground cinnamon & ginger
- A tiny pinch of sea salt
- 1 ripe banana, thinly sliced
- jam or homemade chia jam nuts and seeds, dark chocolate
- raw or roasted nuts or seeds (almonds, walnuts, sunflower seeds, pumpkin seeds)
- dark chocolate, chopped
Add the plant milk to a small saucepan and bring to a gentle boil. Add the oats, spices, salt, and banana.
Cook, storing occasionally for 5-7 minutes or until oats are cooked through and porridge is very thick and creamy. The bananas will have melted into the porridge.
Serve with warmed up frozen berries or berry chia jam, nuts and seeds, and/or dark chocolate.