Sweet and Spicy Almond Butter Date Latte
This Sweet and Spicy Almond Butter Date Latte is a cozy hug in a mug! Sweetened with dates and flavored with orange peel and cayenne, it’s the perfect sweet-spicy-zingy flavor combination! And while it’s vegan, gluten-free, soy-free, and paleo-friendly, it’s still incredibly indulgent.
- 1 1/2 cups (360 mL) unsweetened oat milk*
- 2 tablespoons creamy almond butter
- 2 soft large(ish) Medjool dates, pitted and torn in half
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon, extra for dusting the top
- A pinch of cayenne pepper
- 1 large strip of orange peel
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/4 - 1/2 cup (60 - 120 mL) strongly brewed hot coffee**
Add the oat milk, almond butter, dates, cinnamon, cayenne, orange peel, and vanilla to a small or medium saucepan. Bring to a rapid simmer and maintain it for 10 minutes, whisking occasionally.
Remove the milk from the heat and transfer it to a high-powered blender. Remove the center cap of the blender and cover with a dish towel to allow steam to escape. Blend on high until the mixture is very smooth and creamy, and all of the dates and orange peel are pulverized. Taste and adjust flavors as necessary.
Divide the hot coffee into two coffee mugs and then pour the almond butter date milk into each mug. Sprinkle with cinnamon and enjoy!
* For a Paleo-friendly version, substitute with coconut drinking milk, cashew milk, or macadamia nut milk.
** I used an Americano (espresso mixed with water). Feel free to use decaf if you don’t drink much caffeine. And if you don’t like the taste of coffee, use black tea (see the “Ingredient Rundown” section above).