Vegan Raita (Indian Yogurt Dip)
Raita is a cooling, mildly spiced Indian yogurt dip. Don’t worry if you don’t have every single ingredient – it’ll still be a nice cooling condiment and addition to this recipe.
- 1/4 of a medium cucumber (unpeeled)
- 1 cup (225g) unsweetened nondairy yogurt (I prefer coconut yogurt)
- 1 garlic clove, crushed
- 1- inch piece fresh ginger, grated or finely minced
- 1/4 cup fresh cilantro, chopped
- 1/4 cup fresh mint leaves, chopped
- Juice of 1⁄2 lime
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1/2 teaspoon garam masala
- 1 pinch of cayenne pepper or Indian red chili powder (Indian chili powder is NOT the same thing as regular chili powder; it’s pure chili powder and is much spicier)
- 1/4 teaspoon kosher salt, plus more to taste
Grate the cucumber using a box grater. Wrap the grated cucumber in several layers of paper towels or in a clean dish towel and squeeze thoroughly to press out as much water as you can.
Add the grated cucumber to a bowl with the nondairy yogurt. Add in the remaining ingredients. Stir well to combine. Store leftovers in an airtight container in the fridge for 2-3 days.