- 2 tablespoons rice vinegar
- 2 tablespoons tamari (or soy sauce)
- 2 tablespoons no-sugar-added almond butter
- 2 tablespoons toasted sesame oil
- 2 tablespoons pure maple syrup
- 1- inch piece of fresh ginger (peeled and grated or minced)
- 1/4 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
- 1 (8-ounce or 227g) block of tempeh
- 2 medium carrots, cut into matchstick pieces
- 1 medium red bell pepper, cut into thin strips
- 1 cup shredded Napa cabbage
- 1 bunch of scallions (green parts only; the white parts are not low FODMAP)
- 1/4 cup chopped fresh cilantro
- 1/4 cup sunflower seeds
- 1 tablespoon sesame seeds
- 2 tablespoons tahini
- 1/2 tablespoon tamari (or soy sauce)
- 1 tablespoon rice vinegar
- 1 tablespoon toasted sesame oil
- 1 teaspoon pure maple syrup
- Cooked brown rice
- Steam the tempeh (optional): Place the block of tempeh in a steamer basket and steam for 10 minutes. This step helps remove the bitter taste characteristic of tempeh. Slice the steamed tempeh into 8 pieces.
- Prepare the tempeh marinade: Whisk together all of the marinade ingredients in a shallow dish or pie plate until smooth. Add the tempeh pieces and coat thoroughly in the marinade. Refrigerate for at least 2 hours or up to overnight.
- Bake the tempeh: Preheat the oven to 375°F (or 190°C). Place the tempeh in an ovenproof dish or on top of a baking sheet and bake for 12-15 minutes, then flip the pieces over and bake for another 5-10 minutes.
- Prepare the veggie slaw: Combine the sliced carrots, bell pepper, Napa cabbage, scallions, and cilantro in a bowl. Top with the sunflower seeds and sesame seeds.
- Make the dressing: In a small bowl, whisk together all of the ingredients until smooth. Pour the dressing over the vegetables and toss well to coat all of the vegetables.
- Serve the veggie slaw over the cooked brown rice and with the baked tempeh pieces on top.