I developed this recipe for a Vegan Spiced Blueberry Breakfast Cake for Pure Wow in conjunction with their Chef-in-Residence program. For all five recipes, check out the Pure Wow post!
I hope you enjoy this recipe. For more great blueberry flavor, check out my vegan blueberry muffins – they’re delish!
Vegan Spiced Blueberry Breakfast Cake
- 1 cup unsweetened applesauce
- ¼ cup maple syrup
- ½ cup coconut sugar
- ½ cup almond butter or cashew butter
- 1 cup almond milk
- 1 ½ tsp vanilla extract
- 1 3/4 cups whole-grain spelt flour + 2 tablespoons, divided
- ½ cup rolled oats
- 2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
- ½ teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1 teaspoon ground ginger
- ½ teaspoon ground allspice
- 1 ½ tsp baking powder
- ¼ tsp baking soda
- 1/4 tsp fine sea salt
- 1 ½ cup fresh or defrosted frozen blueberries
- ½ cup shelled pistachios, finely chopped
- Preheat the oven to 350F / 176 C. Line a 9”x5” inch loaf pan with parchment paper, letting the paper extend by a few inches to make it easy to remove the cake.
- In a medium bowl, whisk together the applesauce, maple syrup, coconut sugar, almond butter, almond milk and vanilla extract until smooth.
- In a large bowl, combine 1¾ cups of the spelt flour, the rolled oats, cinnamon, baking powder, ginger, nutmeg, allspice, baking soda and salt.
- Pour the wet ingredients into the dry, stirring to combine with a wooden spoon until well incorporated.
- In a small bowl, combine the blueberries with the remaining 2 tablespoons spelt flour, tossing to coat (this prevents the blueberries from sinking to the bottom of the cake). Using a rubber spatula, fold the blueberries and chopped pistachios into the cake batter. Pour the batter into the prepared loaf pan.
- Bake the loaf until a toothpick inserted into the center comes out clean, 55 to 60 minutes. Allow to cool in the pan on top of a wire rack, then lift the bread out of the pan using the parchment as handles. Serve warm or at room temperature.
Leave a Comment & Rating