I figured you might need some chocolate in your life right now, given the current circumstances. But if you’ve been stress eating cookies and cakes for the last few months and are looking for some healthier solutions to satisfy your chocolate cravings, this list of 10 Healthy Vegan Chocolate Desserts has you covered!
While all of these recipes are all vegan and all made with wholesome ingredients, they certainly don’t taste “healthy” and don’t sacrifice on flavor!
- 1 cup Medjool dates (210-230g, about 9 or 10 large dates)
- 1/2 cup (55g) raw walnuts
- 3/4 cup (85-90g) raw pecans (or almonds)
- 4 tablespoons smooth almond butter
- 1/2 teaspoon fine sea salt
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 5 tablespoons raw cacao powder or unsweetened cocoa powder
- 2 tablespoons raw cacao nibs optional
- 10.5 ounces or 1 1/3 cups 320 mL coconut cream*
- 4 ounces 115g 60%-85% dark chocolate, roughly chopped (I like using 72%)
- 1/3 cup refined coconut oil unrefined coconut oil will bring a coconutty taste
- 2/3 cup 145g, about 6 or 7 large dates) Medjool dates
- 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- A large pinch of sea salt
- A few sprinkles of flaky sea salt for topping
- Fresh raspberries or other berries
Make the Crust
- Remove the pits from the dates. If the dates aren’t soft, soak them in hot water for 5 minutes, then drain well.
- Add the dates, walnuts, pecans, almond butter, salt, cinnamon, and cacao powder to a food processor. Blend until you have a slightly sticky dough that comes together when you press it with your fingers. If using, fold the cacao nibs into the dough with a rubber spatula or your hands.
- Press the dough onto the bottom and up the sides of a 9-inch tart pan with a removable bottom. Place in the freezer to firm up for 20 minutes and clean out the food processor.
Make the Filling
- While the crust is chilling, heat a saucepan over medium-low heat and add the coconut cream, chopped dark chocolate, and coconut oil. Whisk frequently until melted and smooth. Allow the chocolate to cool slightly.
- Remove the pits from the dates and tear into pieces. Add them to the food processor, along with the vanilla, sea salt, and and the melted chocolate mixture. Blend until everything is combined and completely smooth, scraping down the sides as needed. The filling should be smooth, silky, and rich. Taste for seasonings, add more salt as needed.
Assemble the tart
- Pour the chocolate filling into the chilled tart crust. Garnish with flaky sea salt. Chill the tart in the freezer for 2 hours or until set and firm. Garnish with fresh raspberries and allow to sit at room temperature for 10 to 15 minutes before serving.